The 5th Annual Washington State Zine Contest is open!
Please feel free to download, print & distribute this poster featuring artwork by Chris Sabatini.
- Participants must be Washington State residents.
- Zines must be created in 2019 or 2020.
- Submissions will be read by people of all ages; please only non-offensive content in your zine.
- Make at least 7 copies of your zine. Submit 5 and keep the others for yourself. Sharing and trading is a traditional aspect of zine culture! Entries will not be returned and may be added to a library’s collection or used in promotional materials.
- By submission, the participants grant permission for the library to display, photograph & reproduce the submitted work for publicity purposes.
- Entries may be dropped off at the Washington State Library @ 6880 Capitol Blvd. SE, Tumwater, WA 98501 or mailed to us @ WSL Zine Contest. PO Box 42460, Olympia, WA, 98504-2460
- Entries must be postmarked by February 29, 2020.
For more information, email Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org.
One winner will be chosen from each of these categories:
- Grades 4-6
- Grades 7-9
- Grades 10-12
- Adults of all ages
Where can you find inspirational materials for your creation?
Try Washington State Digital Collections History Resources online, the Library of Congress Digital Collections, or visit the Washington State Library, Washington State Archives and/or your local library to find fantastic materials and inspiration for your creation!
A Few Zine Libraries in WA State
How to Make a Zine Video
Grades 4-6 Mount Helens! by Pranav Dasan
Grades 7-9 1910 Stevens Pass Train Disaster by Sonja Rasmussen, Kaelyn Van Duzer, and Morgan Bong
Adult Mountain Devil by Marc Myrsell
Grades 4-6 Hanford: The complex legacy left behind, Mia Widrow
Adult Answering Columbia’s Call : Seattle’s War Relief Bazaar of 1917, Lisa Oberg
Grades 4-6 The Grand Coulee Dam, Anna Riley
Grades 7-9 Women’s Rights & Wonder Women from Washington’s Past, Janisa Cook
Grades 10-12 Pike Place Market, Adrian Poslednik
Adult 721 Seventeenth Avenue : A Love (Hi)Story, Amanda Demeter
Adult Glore & Wunder : Adventures and Amusements in Washington State History by Susanna Gowing